top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Do I need a UK insurance green card to drive in France?

Green cards are certificates issued by UK insurance companies guaranteeing motorists have the minimum necessary insurance to drive abroad. We explain if one is needed for France

A green card, issued by UK car insurers, is required when driving in certain countries abroad Pic: Spech / Shutterstock

Reader question: I called my insurer in England regarding a green card for a visit to France next month and was told that this is no longer needed as the certificate of insurance will suffice. Is this correct?

This is correct. Since August 2, 2021, British motorists have no longer been required to have an insurance green card to drive their vehicles in France and the rest of the EU.

Green cards are international certificates issued by insurance providers in the UK to guarantee the motorist has the necessary insurance to drive abroad.

The UK government states that:

All UK vehicle insurance provides the minimum third party cover to drive in:

  • The EU (including Ireland)
  • Andorra
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Serbia
  • Switzerland

You should speak to your insurance company about what extra coverage is offered, including theft and damage to your car. Not all insurance policies will offer the same level of coverage abroad.

Green cards may still be required to drive in other European countries, such as Albania, Russia, Turkey and Ukraine.

You should check with your insurer for more information, or see the UK government website here

Find help with navigating life in France with our new Reader Questions newsletter

Sign up for our pick of the week's questions from readers answered by the Connexion team – delivered to your inbox every Saturday.

See what other readers like you are asking including: How often is a rabies shot for dogs required for France-UK travel? Will my French health pass become invalid if I refuse my booster dose? ​​Can foreign residents benefit from France's pension top-up benefit? and more. 

Sign up for the free newsletter

Related stories:

New help-to-buy scheme for ‘green’ vehicles in Ile-de-France

What are rules should I hit a deer or boar while driving in France?

Brexit: Do I need to change sticker on my French car to drive in UK?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now