top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Do I need deworming stamp on my pet passport for UK to France travel?

We explain the rules for the treatment of tapeworms for dogs for cross-Channel trips

There are different requirements for entering France with your dog compared to entering the UK Pic: Masarik / Shutterstock

Reader question: I have a pet passport (issued in France). I am planning to travel from the UK to France with my dog using this document. Do I need to get it stamped with worming or flea info before we go over?

It is not necessary to give your dog tapeworm treatment to enter France but it is necessary to get it before entering or returning to the UK from France. 

Rules when travelling from the UK to France

To bring a pet into France from the UK, three requirements must be met.

  • The animal must be electronically chipped
  • It must have either an EU pet passport or an Animal Health Certificate (AHC)
  • It must have a valid rabies vaccination

Read more: Rabies shot for dogs: How often is it required for France-UK travel?

Rules when travelling from France to the UK

To enter the UK or return to the UK from France, your dog must also have been treated for tapeworm on top of the three requirements mentioned above.

This treatment must be done by a vet, who must record details of it on your pet passport or animal certificate every time you enter the UK. 

The dog must be given the tapeworm treatment no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (five days) before you enter the UK.

If you are planning to stay in France for under five days before returning to the UK, you will need to get this treatment in the UK before you leave. 

The UK government rules state that the treatment must be approved for use in the country it is being given in, and contain praziquantel or “an equivalent proven to be effective against the Echinococcus multilocularis tapeworm”. 

Its advice states that you should check your vet has added the following details to your pet passport or animal health certificate:

  • Name and manufacturer of the product
  • Date and time they treated your dog
  • Their stamp and signature

Related stories

Second-home owners in France to register travelling pets with I-CAD

Why was my dog’s EU pet passport not accepted on UK to France ferry?

Confusion over EU pet passport rules costs British dog owner £500

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now