top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

What do I need to know to set up a consulting business in France?

We explain different structures and turnover limits for TVA (VAT)

The most common way to start a freelance consultancy would be as a micro-entrepreneur (also known as auto-entrepreneur) Pic: Freedomz / Shutterstock

Reader question: I am an Anglo-American living in France and want to set up a consulting business. What are the VAT and tax implications? P.M.

You should probably take professional advice as to the best set-up for your plans. 

However, the most common way to start a freelance consultancy would be as a micro-entrepreneur (also known as auto-entrepreneur). 

Read more: A guide to micro-entrepreneurs in France

Read more: What is the difference between 'auto/micro-entrepreneur' in France?

You can create your business at Your activity will be considered a profession libérale and you do not have to be concerned with VAT until turnover is more than €34,400. 

You can stay in the micro system up to €72,600, after which you have to change to the réel accounting regime, keeping all receipts and claiming ‘real’ expenses. 

Read more: Do French entrepreneurs need separate work bank accounts?

Social charges are calculated differently on the réel, which may also be opted for, regardless of income level, if you believe you would have a lot of expenses to offset. 

Social charges under the micro would be 22% and would be levied on turnover, monthly or three-monthly. 

Tax would be optionally at a set 2.2%, also levied regularly on turnover (this option is available within certain income ceilings) or under the standard income tax bands after an allowance of 34%. 

If you wish to operate in regulated fields, such as real estate or financial advice, you should have a suitable diploma of a type recognised by France.

Find help with navigating life in France with our new Reader Questions newsletter

Sign up for our pick of the week's questions from readers answered by the Connexion team – delivered to your inbox every Saturday.

See what other readers like you are asking including: How often is a rabies shot for dogs required for France-UK travel? ​​Can foreign residents benefit from France's pension top-up benefit? and more. 

Sign up for the free newsletter 

Related articles

Macron announces labour law changes for self-employed in France

Reader experiences: What it is like to be your own boss in France

Business Sirens and Sirets in France explained

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now