LEADING organisers of D-Day commemorations at the Normandy landing beaches say Britain will be as much a part of the event as America after yesterday’s snub by the government.
Following comments by government spokesman Luc Chatel that the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings was “first and foremost a Franco-American ceremony,” association Normandie Memoire said the British would pay just as much a part in remembrance events as America.
Representative Sandy Cordone said: “Of course the British veterans are as much a part of the events as America and they will be with us at important ceremonies, including on June 6 at Arromanches from 16.00.
“Some ceremonies will be more American-orientated, and others more British orientated, but it is not a case of prioritising one over the other.”
On expat website Angloinfo many visitors expressed disappointment over the way the event had been handled by both the UK and France. One post by Kevin Raymond said: “It would be far better if none of the heads of state turned up, as there would be far less security hassle needed, which would make access far easier for those who matter - the veterans themselves.”