top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Healthcare worries

An expat wonders about nationality and healthcare

I have been advised that if I were to obtain French nationality, that the UK government would then no longer reimburse the French government for my health cover via the carte vitale.

In that case I would have to pay 8% of my income to cover this. If this is so, the many expats here in France who are applying for nationality as a buffer against Brexit need to be informed of the risk.

A. Sims, Morbihan


An expert from social security advisors Cleiss said, assuming you are a retiree with an S1, rights via the S1 would continue and would not be replaced by residence-based ones involving a Puma payment.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France