People in France are being asked to vote for their favourite French monument to be revealed in the fourth series of French TV show Le Monument Préféré des Français (The Nation’s Favourite Monument).
Presented by Stéphane Bern, the show is due to air on France 3 to coincide with the 38th celebration of the European Heritage Days on September 18 and 19.
Forty-two places of exceptional cultural, historical and architectural interest in France were whittled down to 14 in voting that took place between May 25 and June 11.
Vying for the position of nation’s favourite monument, the 14 monuments in the grand final are:
- The Rotonde Ferroviaire in Chambéry - Savoie (Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes)
- The Hôtel-Dieu Museum - Côte-d'Or (Bourgogne-Franche-Comte)
- The ramparts of Saint-Malo - Ile-et-Vilaine (Brittany)
- The Briare Aqueduct - Loiret (Centre-Val de Loire)
- The Citadel of Bonifacio and the King Aragon Steps - Corse-du-Sud (Corsica)
- Place Stanislas in Nancy - Meurthe-et-Moselle (Grand Est)
- Chateau de Pierrefonds - Oise (Hauts-de-France)
- The Caillebotte Property - Yerres - Essonne (Ile-de-France)
- The Balata Gardens - Fort-de-France - Martinique
- Chateau de Falaise - Calvados (Normandy)
- The towers of La Rochelle - Charente-Maritime (Nouvelle-Aquitaine)
- The Pont du Gard Aqueduct - Gard (Occitanie)
- Passage Pommeraye in Nantes - Loire-Atlantique (Pays de la Loire)
- The Roman Theatre of Orange - Vaucluse (Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur)
Previous winners of Le Monument Préféré des Français have included the Royal Monastery of Brou (Rhône-Alpes), the Belfry of Arras (Nord-Pas-de-Calais), and Belfort Citadel and the Lion of Belfort (Bourgogne-Franche-Comté) in 2014, 2015 and 2020, respectively.
Voting in this year’s contest ends on 22 July and you can cast your vote for free online in just two clicks. You can still view the full list of competing monuments for the 2021 contest as well, and find out which of the 28 monuments in the original line-up didn’t make the final cut.
Sacré-Coeur: A monument that still divides Parisians