top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

UK Border Force to strike for eight days over Christmas

Six British airports and a port will be affected by the industry action, which is over pay, pensions and redundancies 

UK Border Force officers are set to strike over Christmas Pic: Yau Ming Low / Shutterstock

UK Border Force officers are to stage an eight-day strike over the Christmas period, affecting Birmingham, Gatwick, Cardiff, Glasgow, London Heathrow (Terminals 2-5) and Manchester airports. 

The strike – which will include around 15,000 civil servants in all – is set to take place between December 23 and 26 and then again between December 28 and 31, the Public and Commercial Services (PCS) union has confirmed. 

Newhaven Port will also be impacted.

Union members voted in favour of the strike as the result of a dispute over pay, pensions and redundancies, and PCS General Secretary Mark Serwotka has said that the action will have a “major effect” on people travelling over the period. 

“This is a crisis. We have tried for months to negotiate, but we’ve been ignored," he said at a press conference in London. "No money has been made available or put on the table."

Border Force officers check travellers’ passports as they arrive in the UK, so the strike will affect passengers coming from France and other countries. 

The ISU union, which also represents civil servants, previously held a vote over the potential for Christmas strike action in November, but it did not achieve the turnout needed to carry the action forward. 

Related articles 

What train and TGV routes are affected by today's strike in France?

UK Eurostar security workers to strike in lead-up to Christmas

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now