top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Brexit and government pensions

There must be many retired people in France who have government occupational pensions (teachers, police etc). Currently these have to be taxed in the UK and not in France. In the event that S1 healthcare cover is withdrawn for UK pensioners in France after Brexit would the UK government allow these pensions to be taxed in France so we would automatically become part of the healthcare system?  A.M.

What happens as a result of Brexit does not affect the double tax treaties – these are separate and fully independent of EU membership.

As a result, laws from the treaties will continue to be applied and so government pensions will continue to be taxed in the country of origin and ‘taken into account’ in the French income tax computation.

Accordingly, any change would be difficult to establish unless the double tax treaty between the two countries was re-written.

As for healthcare rights after Brexit for British pensioners in France, they are guaranteed by the draft exit deal; if there is no deal however then those able to regularise their residency rights in France should theoretically be entitled to the French ‘Puma’ system (which includes having to pay a fee if income is above a certain level).

A replacement for the S1 would depend on a future Franco-UK agreement about this issue.


Reader's query answered by Hugh MacDonald

The Connexion welcomes queries and regularly publishes a selection with answers. However, please note that we cannot enter into individual correspondence on money topics. Queries may be edited for length and style. Due to the sensitive nature of topics we do not publish full names or addresses on these pages.

Send your financial query to

The information here is of a general nature. You should not act or refrain from acting on it without taking professional advice on the specific facts of your case. No liability is accepted in respect of these articles. These articles are intended only as a general guide. Nothing herein constitutes actual financial advice

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France