top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Can we use pounds for property sale?

If a house in France, owned by a British person living in France, is sold to a British UK resident, with both parties having UK bank accounts, is it possible to use sterling to pay for the transaction, transferring the money from one UK bank to another, avoiding currency exchange fees? J.L.

Yes it is possible. Since the house is in France, the transfer of the title to the new owner must be done in France, making reference to euros as the currency, but with the transaction to be paid in sterling between you. French stamp duty and fees will have to be paid in euros.

You will need to find a notaire who is prepared to act in this way since the notaire will not be holding the funds and at the time of the final signature there will be delays to allow the time for the funds to transit from the buyer’s bank account to the seller’s.
However there are financial risks to this, since even though the contract may be signed by both of you, there is no guarantee the funds will be transferred, so you could find that you have sold the house and not had the money. You would then have to go to court to retrieve the money or the house. So, while it may seem appealing, this is not recommended and it may be preferable to transfer your money to France, using a currency specialist to avoid paying fees.

Reader's query answered by Hugh MacDonald

If you have a money query send it to We select questions for answer every edition

The information here is of a general nature. You should not act or refrain from acting on it without taking professional advice on the specific facts of your case.
No liability is accepted in respect of this article. It is intended only as a general guide. Nothing herein constitutes actual financial advice.

The Connexion welcomes queries and publishes a selection with answers every edition. However, please note that we cannot enter into correspondence on money topics. Queries may be edited for length and style. Due to the sensitive nature of topics we do not publish full names or addresses on these pages.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France