top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Revolut, a way to pay while in UK?

Online payment service Revolut has been recommended by several readers who say it is especially useful for people who travel regularly/make payments between the eurozone and UK.

The service works via a phone app and you have a pre-paid Mastercard which you can top up with money from the online account.

You can use it to transfer money to friends or to pay bills. Revolut says it uses the (favourable) interbank exchange rate for exchange between currencies and has no fees for foreign transfers of up to €6,000 a month.

There is a 0.5% fee for sums above this, unless you have an optional special account at a monthly fee.

The interbank rate applies only on weekdays. At the weekend, Revolut fixes a rate with a 0.5% increase to protect itself from fluctuations until markets open the following week.

You can make international cash machine withdrawals of up to €200/month for free, with a 2% fee over this.

You can set up regular payments but there is no facility for an overdraft, chequebook or loan. It also offers ways to see how much you spend on different items, such as restaurants.

Revolut, a UK company, is not a full bank and is not covered by the FSCS compensation scheme in the event of going bust.

However, it is an FSA-authorised “electronic money institution” and keeps your money in a segregated account away from company funds.

Banking information site Cbanque states there may be risks to keeping large sums in it as it is experiencing some management and UK regulatory difficulties.

You can contact it only by online chat on its app.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France