top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Applying for an international driving permit

I live in France and drive here on a British licence. How can I obtain an Interna­tional Driving Permit so I can drive on a holiday out of the EU. T.G.

International Driving Permit (IDPs) are documents (lasting a year in the UK version) that you obtain to accompany your driving licence and thus meet requirements in certain non-EU countries – however obtaining one in your situation appears difficult.

Luckily, relatively few countries insist on the permit for a holder of a UK licence. A list issued by the RAC of places where it is essential or recommended can be found here

For example, one is not needed in America, where a UK licence on its own is acceptable for trips of up to three months. Places where one is vital, according to the RAC, include Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Bahrain, Brazil, Colombia, Côte d’Ivoire, Egypt, India, Indo­nesia, Iraq and Iran, Japan, Jordan, Korea, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Philippines, Thailand, UAE and the Canberra area of Australia.

It appears there is a Catch 22, however, as the DVLA said British IDPs cannot be issued to people who are not UK resident. This was confirmed to Connexion by the AA and RAC, the main UK bodies that issue IDPs.

One reader said he obtains his permit from a post office on visits to the UK, however he has retained a UK address.

France will not issue a French IDP to a holder of a UK licence, despite issuing them to holders of most other EU licences. The licences section at the prefecture of Loire-Atlantique at Nantes, which provides this service, said this is because the UK did not sign the November 8, 1968 Convention of Vienna. It said holders of British licences would have to exchange them for a French one before applying for an IDP. If, on the other hand, you have a French or other valid EU licence and want a French IDP (which last three years), note that you can now only apply by post to Nantes and not at local prefectures and it is likely to take longer - so leave plenty of time if going somewhere where a permit is required.

The ‘Inter­natio­nal Dri­ver’s Document’ and ‘International Driver’s Licence’ available on the internet have no official status and are not IDPs.

If you are going to one of the countries in the RAC’s list and plan to take your car or to hire one, we suggest seeking advice from one of its consulates.

Note that people driving in France with a non-EU licence must have an IDP or a translation of their licence that has been ‘legalised’ in their home country or by a sworn translator in France.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now