top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Mechanics not ready to test motorbikes for French contrôle technique

Some testing centres are still in the dark about next year’s roadworthiness checks for two-wheelers

Two-wheelers registered before January 1, 2017 are dueto have a CT test before the end of next year Pic: ALPA PROD / Shutterstock

Test centres are still in the dark about the rules for doing the mandatory roadworthiness tests on scooters and motorbikes that are set to come in next year.

A worker at one of the Nice branches of the large Securitest Contrôle Technique network said they do not know if they will be able to offer this.

“We have no news about it. Nothing’s established, it’s very vague,” he said.

Read more: France sets date for introduction of motorbike roadworthiness tests

‘We don’t know what’s happening’

A worker at another test centre in the city, Autosur, said: “It’s still in discussion and we, the contrôle technique centres, don’t know what’s happening. There is no training or equipment in place.”

Under a recent law, all two-wheelers, from 50cc upwards, will have to have CT tests costing around €50.

The first to be involved will be those registered before January 1, 2017, which are due to have a CT test before the end of next year. 

The tests will have to be done from the fifth year, and then every three years. 

A test certificate no more than six months old will be required in future to sell a scooter or motorbike.

Related articles

Explainer: The rules of France’s contrôle technique car checks

Delays to book obligatory CT car checks lengthen in France

Do licence-free cars in France need to pass a roadworthiness test?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France