top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Tax on materials

I am an artisan micro-entrepreneur. I bill customers for labour and materials. I pay tax via the libératoire method quarterly. Do I have to declare the amount I am paid for the materials?

Yes, you must declare the amount invoiced. This includes amounts charged for materials you have bought, so you are paying income tax and social charges not only on your income, but also on what you charge to cover your material costs.

It is often the case that if expenses amount to more than a quarter of your income, the micro-entrepreneur is costlier than a traditional business regime. The scheme is fine for those with few expenses but when expenses, eg. materials, are invoiced, it may lose its advantages with regard to tax and cash flow.


This question was answered by Olaf Muscat Baron who is a Fellow of the Chartered Association of Accountants UK, a French expert comptable and an International tax advisor.

He is the principal accountant of Fiscaly, an accountancy firm based in the Dordogne.

See or call 09 81 09 00 15

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France