top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Do UK-based (adult) children of French residents still need a visa?

We explain what rights a British citizen may have for visiting France if their parents are residents there

British citizens have the right to spend a maximum of 90 in 180 days in the EU Pic: Alexander Shutski / Shutterstock

Reader question: My British parents are both in their 80s and live in France. I would like to go out and visit them more regularly and I am also due to inherit their house eventually. Is there a way for me to get French residency based on theirs?

In short, your parents’ residency status does not mean anything for your own rights to visit - or later live in - France.

Visiting British citizens have the right to spend a maximum of 90 in 180 days in the EU. 

If you wish to spend more time in France than this, then you have to apply for a visa as other British visitors do. The fact your parents live in France does not change this.

Read more: Brexit: If I spend 90 days in France how many days until I can return?

One option is a visa de long séjour temporaire (VLS-T), which gives you the right to stay in France for up to six months. It costs €99. 

Read more: Visiting France for six months: French long stay visa VLS-T explained

Several Connexion readers have in the past warned of long waits to get these visas.

Read more: French long-stay visa applicants complain again of appointment delays

France does have a regroupement familial visa system that allows people to join their partners in France or for children under 18 years old to join their parents. 

However, this is not applicable to adult children whose parents are foreign residents in France.

You can read more about that here

Related articles

France lovers group calls for action on 90-day visitor rule

UK nationals may only have one six-month French visa per year

‘We plan to sell our French second home due to the 90/180 day rule’

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France