top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

France lockdown: Are the English exemption forms valid?

A Connexion reader has reported that her friend was warned by police for using the English-language attestation

Reader question: My friend was stopped this morning by the gendarmes to check her exemption form (attestation de déplacement), which she had downloaded in English from the French government site that Connexion shows. 

The gendarme refused to accept it and took her name and address, turned her around and told her to go home and print one out in French. Was he right and, if so, can you warn people only the French form will do?

Short answer: No, the gendarme was wrong.

The Connexion contacted the Covid-19 helpline in France about this and were told the form in English is 100% acceptable and any such official document supplied by the government is valid.

The helpline spokeswoman suggested readers who are using the English-language form should keep the link of the government site at hand on their telephones, or take a screen grab of it from their computer and print out, so that they can present that to police should this situation arise again. 

Alternatively, if they have mobile internet, they can search for and then click on the box “attestations de déplacement”, which is displayed at the top of the web page. 

It sounds as if the gendarme in question was not familiar with the option, the helpline spokeswoman said, and was undoubtedly an isolated case. 

The spokeswoman also said that if a penalty had been given for such a case, then the person could contest it (details of how to do this are on the penalty form). 

You can also contest the fine online here

You have 45 days from the time you receive the fine to contest it.

Read more: 

France lockdown: The exemption forms you need

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now