top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Do non-residents pay more French tax on second homes than residents?

Since Brexit there can be an additional expense for Britons - the fees for a fiscal representative to calculate capital gains tax when you sell. This has been the case for other non-EU citizens for some time

Resident or non-resident, the tax on second homes remains the same Pic: Tanoy1412 / Shutterstock

Reader Question: We are UK residents intending to buy a holiday home in France. Am I right that recent French legislation means taxes we face as non-residents (eg. taxe foncière) are stiffer than before? Are they the same as for French residents with a holiday home?

Property taxes are the same in buying a second home whether resident or non-resident, and this has not changed. The only French residence of a person with their main domicile in the UK is still considered a second home. 

In terms of property taxes, the French resident and the non-French resident are liable to pay both taxe foncière and taxe d’habitation

Under recent changes, French residents are mostly exempt from paying taxe d’habitation, but only on their principal private residence. 

Local councils set the rates of both taxes, which in some areas include an additional surcharge on taxe d’habitation on second homes. This has applied for several years. 

Another factor affecting the amount to be paid is the theoretical rental value of the property, called valeur locative cadastrale. MPs usually vote annually to increase this, related to rises in the cost of living. Other factors, including an extension to the home, can also affect this. 

A general revision of the values has long been proposed but has now been put off to 2026. 

The amount of each of these taxes will vary across France for a similar property, but when buying a property, you should be informed in the sale details of the amount of the taxe foncière, and you can also request to know the amount of the taxe d’habitation

Should you rent out your property, UK tax residents must declare the income first in France, where non-residents are liable to a flat rate of income tax (usually 20%), which is then used as a credit against income tax liability in the UK when declaring the taxable French rental income figure. 

Also due will be social charges, which should be only 7.5% – or 17.2% if you are not liable to social security in the UK. 

Since Brexit, in the event of selling a property for more than €150,000, one additional expense is the requirement to use a French fiscal representative to calculate the capital gains tax liability, costing around 0.5% of the sale price. This fee is deductible from the taxable gain.

Related links

Taxe foncière France’s local property tax: Who pays and the exemptions 

Can we annul usufruit before selling a house in France?

Is there a way to reduce 60% French inheritance tax for friends?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France