top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Can I get compensation for a car accident in France?

Your questions, answered: what compensation is there if an uninsured driver bumps me?


Is any compensation possible if someone without valid car insurance bumps into your vehicle? S.W.


In this situation, you should first check to see if your own insurance can help – this will be the case if you have an assurance tous risques (fully comprehensive) policy. The insurer will pay out but minus any franchise (excess) amount that is applicable in the policy. If you are only insured au tiers (third party), your insurer will not pay out but you can apply to the Fonds de garantie des assurances obligatoires de dommages (FGAO). In this case, either you or your insurer can apply to the FGAO by lettre recommandée avec avis de reception (recorded delivery letter with receipt slip).

Note that many car insurance policies, as well as home insurance policies, include cover to help with the formalities of legal claims, called garantie protection juridique or garantie défense-recours which place an obligation on insurers to carry out this formality for you. The right address to send it to depends on the department where the accident occurred. Check the map at this link: The application form is here:

Driving in France: grants for drivers wanting to buy new cars to replace old ones have been increased by the government in an €8billion package to help the French car industry survive the effects of Covid-19. Read the full story here.

Note that this fund can also help in situations where someone bumped into your vehicle but left without identifying themselves or if you did not see the car that collided with yours. It is not applicable where you were at fault or a car insured in your name was being driven by the party at fault.

You need to describe the circumstances, including the reasons why the third party was at fault and the fact that they were uninsured, including any photos or documents proving the facts. The FGAO should make a compensation offer three to eight months after receiving the dossier.

A 400kg bull and a tractor caravan - here are the wild things spotted on the roads of France this month

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now