-
La Voie Bleue: European Cycle Route of the Year is in France
700km bike path linking Luxembourg and Lyon has been crowned winner of the 2026 title
-
MAP: See how your location in France affects online food shop prices
New analysis shows how your shop compares on average
-
Further sightings of processionary caterpillars in France prompt action from local authorities
Caterpillars have arrived early after mild winter
Armed police eject cinema toddler
UGC sorry for calling police to throw out girl aged two years and 10 months watching Disney's 'Princess and the Frog'
CINEMA chain UGC has apologised for calling armed police to eject a two-year-old girl and her family from a screening of the new Disney film.
Officers stormed into the Ciné Cité complex at Les Halles in Paris to throw out the group of six adults and nine children on a family outing to see The Princess and the Frog on Saturday morning.
The cashier had asked the age of the young children and refused access to the youngest girl, who was two years and 10 months old. The Paris préfecture de police issued a law in 1927 banning under-threes from cinema screenings.
However the ticket sale had already gone through, and the group went ahead and settled down to watch the film.
One of the parents in the group, Eric Bordron, told Le Figaro that the police entered the darkened auditorium with torches after the trailers had finished.
"We were surrounded by about ten police officers with truncheons," he said. "We left because we did not want to be arrested. We lost the €100 we paid for the tickets, because UGC refused to give a refund."
UGC said it was deeply sorry for the way it had handled the incident and said it would display the text of the law banning under-threes prominently at the box office from now on.
The company said: "We will put everything in place to make sure this does not happen again."
