How to obtain advice after a car accident injury in France?

Victim support groups or a lawyer who specialises in accidents and compensation are best for advice following a car accident injury in France

Published Last updated

Reader question: I was never compensated after being injured in a car crash. Do you have advice on such situations?

A lawyer who specialises in accidents and compensation will be able to give you the best advice in such a situation but this could be expensive.

A good place to turn to first may be victim support groups. Victimes Solidaires and Association Aide Indemnisation Victimes de France help victims of accidents and advise on compensation.

They can answer questions and provide free legal assistance and their websites (in French) contain useful information.

Even if the accident happened a while ago, it is worth knowing your rights: you can receive compensation for up to 10 years from the time your injuries were registered as being stable by a medical expert.

If your condition deteriorates, even years after the accident, you are entitled to further compensation. If you were involved in a hit-and-run accident or if the person responsible for the accident was not insured, you can claim compensation from a fund called the Fonds de Garantie des Assurances obligatoires de dommages.

You have up to one year to ask for it if the person responsible is known, and up to three years if not.

This can be completed by your insurance firm or you can fill in the form directly.

Related stories

More French regions use private unmarked speed camera cars

Can I buy an electric car in France and drive it in the UK?