top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Second-home owners in France to register travelling pets with I-CAD

A French rule could affect documentation needed to take pets in and out of France

Dog wearing sunglasses in a suitcase with a pet passport

French rule change to register travelling pets on national system Pic: Monika Wisniewska/Shutterstock

Second-home owners looking to save costs on UK ‘Animal Health Certificates’ by using a French pet passport, which is cheaper and can be used many times, face difficulties due to a recent clarification of pet registration rules in France.

I-CAD, an agency of the French Agriculture Ministry, says pets that previously had a (now-invalid) UK-issued EU pet passport must, in order to have a French EU pet passport, have been registered by the owner with I-CAD's French pet register – done via a French vet – and have a French ID card from the service. 

It states also that for this to be possible the pet must be due to stay in France for more than three consecutive months, ie. longer than the maximum for UK visitors without a visa.

An I-CAD spokesman said this will now also apply to the issue of new French pet passports to British owners’ animals where they have not had a pet passport before.

He said vets can only register an animal from the UK with I-CAD if the owner confirms that they and the animal will be staying in France longer than three months. 

Related articles

Rabies shot for dogs: How often is it required for France-UK travel?

Vueling named most pet-friendly airline in French contest

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now