top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Travel rules for unaccompanied children leaving France

We look at the free form and supporting documents children must carry when travelling unaccompanied out of France

Unaccompanied children will need a copy of the free document called autorisation de sortie du territoire (AST) to travel out of France Pic: MNStudio / Shutterstock

Children leaving France, including for school trips, need a free document called an autorisation de sortie du territoire (AST) if they are not accompanied by a parent or guardian. 

One of their parents should complete a form that can be downloaded to fill in (or to complete online, then print out) here.

The form requires key identity and contact details for both the parent and child, such as place and date of birth, and the parent’s passport details. 

The latter includes date of issue and issuing authority. 

This is marked on the main page of the passport and will typically be HMPO, for example, for a British person.

Validity dates need to be indicated, which should be from before the date of travel and up to one year. 

The child needs to keep a copy of this when they travel, along with a photocopy of the parent’s passport and their own passport.

Related articles

Does my under 18 need a DCEM travel document for travel from France?

UK families in France struggle to gain Brexit WA cards for children

Explainer: When does a child need ‘permission form’ to leave France?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France