top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

What is I-CAD? France’s pet database explained

It is necessary to register your dog, cat or ferret with the service before getting an EU pet passport in France

I-CAD stores complete data on pets’ identification in France, including their microchips and details of their owners Pic: Olesya Kuznetsova / Shutterstock

I-CAD is the biggest database dedicated to carnivorous pets in France and in Europe - mainly meaning dogs, cats and ferrets.

It is the only place to store complete data on these animals’ identification in France, including their microchips and the details of their owners. 

I-CAD falls under the remit of the Ministry of Agriculture and Food in France. 

It is used by various services including animal shelters, pounds, the police, animal associations, veterinarians, breeders and pet shops. 

Is it also used by pet owners, who can report a pet missing, stolen or found, track missing pets or update their owner details.

I-CAD also tracks pets’ health status and the behaviour of dogs.

It is free to register a pet with I-CAD (though there is a set fee of €9.23 in the case of a dog imported to France from elsewhere).

This can be done by going to a vet in France and asking to have a pet registered. There may however be a consultation fee to pay for the appointment.

In order to get an EU pet passport in France, the animal must be first registered on the I-CAD database. 

This applies to residents in France as well as second-home owners.

You can read more about how British people with second homes in France can apply for an EU pet passport in France here: How to get a French EU pet passport as a British second-home owner

Find out more about I-CAD on its website here.

Article edited March 28, 2022 with registration tariff for an imported animal

Related articles:

Confusion over EU pet passport rules costs British dog owner £500

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now