top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Capital gains tax deductions for French property?

My wife and I bought a holiday property in France in 2001. We are resident in the UK.

We have renovated the house and converted barns for use by friends and family. Work such as roof replacement, septic tank installation, plumbing, electrics and installation of a swimming pool were all done by companies. Internal conversion (partitions, doors, staircases, tiling, decoration, sanitary installation, kitchen...) was done by us and friends and family. I have all the receipts for materials.  We want to sell. What costs are allowed against French capital gains tax?  B.H.

Unfortunately, the only costs that are allowed for capital gains tax purposes are those for which there are invoices made out to the property owners and at the property’s address.

Your personal input into the project cannot be claimed against capital gains tax since you cannot invoice yourself.

However, there is a set rebate that is available at the taxpayer’s choice instead of actual costs, of 15% of the property’s initial purchase cost.

There is also an abatement that is given against the final capital gain for both income tax and the accompanying social charges.

The income tax abatement is spread over 22 years.

As you will have owned the property for at least 18 complete years by the time you sell, all but four years of the gain will be wiped out by the time allowance, leaving only some 20% of the capital gain being liable to tax. 

For the social charges, the allowance runs to 30 years. The first 21 years benefit from an allowance of 1.65% per year, the 22nd year has an allowance of 1.60% and thereafter the allowance is 9% through to year 30.

Reader's query answered by Hugh MacDonald

The Connexion welcomes queries and regularly publishes a selection with answers. However, please note that we cannot enter into individual correspondence on money topics. Queries may be edited for length and style. Due to the sensitive nature of topics we do not publish full names or addresses on these pages. Send your financial query to

The information here is of a general nature. You should not act or refrain from acting on it without taking professional advice on the specific facts of your case. No liability is accepted in respect of these articles. These articles are intended only as a general guide. Nothing herein constitutes actual financial advice

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France