top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

International wills can be misleading

Partner article: What happens when an international will is drawn up without specifying that English not French law should apply?

John Kitching of French Law Consultancy answers a reader's question on an 'international' will Pic: Daisy Daisy / Shutterstock

Reader question: I have lived in France since 2005 and bought a house for my mum here in 2011. She died in 2017 but had made a will with the local notaire.

On his advice, she made an international will and left everything to me. Our only other living relatives are my nephews. The notaire now says that because my mother neglected to specify she wanted English law to apply, French law must apply. Is this right?

If there are two children, French law reserves a third for each child (including a predeceased child). The remaining third is freely disposable. The will under French law would allow for a third share for your deceased sibling, which passes to their children (your nephews). The remaining two-thirds passes to you.

As to the election of English law, the date of the will is important. The EU Succession Regulation came into effect in 2015, and allows an election of the law of the deceased’s nationality for deaths after that date. If the will was drafted prior to this, it was not commonplace to elect the law of nationality.

If the will was dated after August 17, 2015, there would need to be an express election of law. The use of an international will is a bit misleading. They do exist and were intended to make wills more readily recognised internationally, but in fact do not achieve anything a standard testament authentique cannot. They do not necessarily show an intention to elect the law of the testator’s nationality, unless expressly stated.

You could ask the notaire to seek the view of Cridon, the technical advisory body for notaires, for further advice on interpretation of your mother’s intentions when she drafted the will.

If you can show the notaire you paid for the house or gifted funds, you might be able to recover the funds as a debt or a reversion to donor of a gift (droit de retour).

Author: John Kitching, French Law Consultancy. French Law Consultancy provides French legal advice

Related stories

Death of a family member in France: Steps to take in days after

France aims to make accessing free legal aid easier

Estate planning in France and how to benefit your family

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France