Technical problems bugged the French tax site as homeowners raced to make their mandatory property declarations before Thursday’s deadline.
All property owners, including second-home owners, those who rent out their homes and those who own their home through a company - SCI (société civile immobilière) must complete the form before midnight on August 10.
However, on Wednesday (August 9) afternoon the impots.gouv.fr showed an error message, meaning homeowners were unable to log on to the website and complete their declarations.
A spokesperson for French tax authorities, the Direction générale des Finances publiques (DGFiP), told French news website BFMTV the deadline for the form would not be delayed again, saying “the campaign definitely ends tomorrow (Thursday)”.
As of 08:30 on Thursday, the website was partially down, officially due to maintenance. Many sections were unavailable but it was possible to access the property declaration form.
The deadline, initially June 30, has been pushed back several times. The latest postponement was to August 10.
The most recent delay was due to technical issues with the website and the number of people having difficulty completing the form.
There is a potential fine of €150 - per property you own - for not completing it. However, the tax authorities have stated they will “show goodwill towards latecomers acting in good faith” and “that no penalty will be applied this year”.
Below you can read our step-by-step guide – with photos – on completing the declaration.
If you are still looking for an answer to a question relating to the declaration, we may have written about it before.
Below is a collection of articles written by our team, including information for second-home owners about the form, questions behind the reasoning of the form, and an FAQ.
On top of this, in June The Connexion also dedicated a week of its reader questions to the topic. You can find a selection down below:
- French property form: Why am I asked about visits to our holiday home?
- New property form: How are owners being informed about this?
- Property form: What if my home is not listed on the French tax site?
- French property declaration: Who completes this if owned via an SCI?
- French property form: Will I be fined if I miss the June 30 deadline?
- French property form: How do I make corrections after submitting it?
- Is it true there is a paper version of France’s property declaration?
- French property form: what is the meaning and impact of number rating