top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Providing internet access in holiday home

I plan to do holiday lets at my French second home and will need to provide internet access. How can I help visitors should they have problems with the service if I am in the UK? T.L.

The first thing is to make sure your information documentation passed to visitors gives more than just the wifi password and wifi network name. (This is shown on the back of the modem.) It should include your supplier’s name and contact number for technical support together with your account number. That way if there is a fault they can get help.

Note that visitors may not be aware that the strength of the wifi signal will be less if they are in a property with thick stone walls between where they are using their device and the modem. Also, the more devices they have connected, the slower the service will be, so they should be advised to switch them off when not in use.

In the event a service problem occurs, let them know what information will be asked for by the technical support line. However before making the call they should reboot the modem (turn off the supply for five minutes and restart).

They should be next to the modem when calling assistance and will be asked what lights are showing, if they are constant, flashing or off. The helpline will also run remote tests while they are speaking with them that may resolve the problem.

If this does not establish there is a fault on the network they might be asked to reset the modem. If this does not re-establish the signal then it is likely the fault will have to be referred to engineers. This can take time as the nature and location of the issue must be identified: exchange, line or somewhere at the property.

If an engineer needs to visit the property you need to include a contact number for someone that will meet with them on your behalf.

The typical time taken to resolve faults requiring an engineer is four days, but more complicated ones will take longer, irrespective of your supplier.

Question answered by Bob Elliott from the telephone and broadband provider, UK Telecom. See for more information on their services in France

If you have a query on this topic send it to

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now