top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Can I keep French Carte Vitale if I move?

Can I keep my Carte Vitale after moving to the UK if I rent out a French house?  H.S.

It is unlikely.

If you move away from France, the fact of keeping a second home or rental property does not give you any special status.

A Carte Vitale is mostly for people affiliated to the French social security system on the basis of residency in France.

They may also be held by retirees living in France but affiliated to another EU country’s social security and who can obtain a Carte Vitale via the S1 form system when they move to France.

Britons currently in France will retain this right under the Withdrawal Agreement if the UK leaves the EU with a deal.

There are a few exceptions where someone may be living outside France but still have one.

Retirees of French pension schemes who move abroad may retain a French Carte Vitale to use on trips back to France.

Another case would be someone affiliated to French social security who goes abroad in the EU to work as a travailleur détaché (posted worker).


Send your queries about life in France by email to  

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2022 (for 2021 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now