top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Are self-employed workers entitled to additional training in France?

You do pay towards professional training as part of your social cotisations - we explain how  to apply for it 

Assuming you have been generating some revenue, you have already been paying into a system entitling you to money towards training Pic: Matej Kastelic / Shutterstock

Reader question: Are there grants available for training for micro-entrepreneurs? M.G.

Yes. Assuming you have been generating some revenue, you have already been paying into a system entitling you to money towards training.

A part of your social cotisations is contri­bution à la formation professionnelle (at 0.1% to 0.3% of turnover, depending on sector), which builds up rights in a compte personnel de formation, a sum of money that can be used to pay for training. 

This can be used only at accredited training centres – and be aware there are many fraudsters operating around this.

In a given year, you will usually accrue rights worth €500, and in total your account cannot accrue more than €5,000.

You can obtain an attestation from Urssaf showing your contributions are up to date, as some trainers require to see, including via your account at this site – if you have one:

You can also visit and create an account (you will need your social security number) to check how much you are entitled to and training options.

Your contributions also go towards a separate fonds d’assurance formation run by a body that varies depending on work sector.

You can apply to this for help towards courses. For a profession libérale business, see; for services, sales and industry, communication - AGEFICE; for artisans, See also the new government website.

Related stories:

Self-employed in France get new law to protect home if business fails

What is the difference between 'auto/micro-entrepreneur' in France?

A guide to micro-entrepreneurs in France

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France