top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Who can I tell about illegal car business in France?

The mairie is, usually, the first port of call for these issues

Firms may need permission to set up Pic: shocky / Shutterstock

Reader question: We own a second home near Béziers. Our neighbour transferred his car repair business from a commercial zone to his private residence in our housing estate. He has no registered business and we wrote to our mayor with our concerns. There is noise, smells, and health and safety issues with this firm in a residential area. The mayor said he could not do anything. Do you have advice? F.K. 

There are two issues here: the unregistered, possibly illegally situated, business, and the nuisance from noise and smells. 

The mairie would, usually, be a first port of call for these issues, but you say yours was uncooperative. 

We would, nonetheless, suggest writing formally to the mairie, using a lettre recommandée avec avis de reception (LRAR – registered post, with receipt slip).

Otherwise, with regard to the nuisance, the first avenues would usually be attempting to find a solution with the neighbour by sending them a LRAR, and possibly calling on a free mediation service (conciliateur de justice). 

Finally, you could take the neighbour to court. It might help to pay a huissier to take an official note of the circumstances and/or to seek advice from an avocat (lawyer). 

Whether the latter is essential depends on the court used and level of compensation that may be involved (it is obligatory in the tribunal judiciaire for matters over €10,000). 

Read more: How can I obtain free law advice in France?

The undeclared business is probably not paying its social charges and the activity may also not be allowed in the area. Starting a trade in a residential area may be subject to permission from the mairie, especially if customers are being received. Other than to the mairie, you could denounce this to: 

  • The inspection de travail (local officials concerned with working rules);
  • Local branch of Urssaf (concerned with collecting social security contributions);
  • Anti-fraud body DGCCRF

Read more

Is it illegal to carry a pocket knife in France?

French mayor collects fly-tipped waste and dumps it at culprits’ house

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France