top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

How do I declare my UK government income in French tax form?

Reader asks after being unable to find where to enter tax already paid in last year’s declaration

Government income must also be included into French tax declaration form Pic: fizkes / Shutterstock

Reader question: French tax returns online changed last year and now they ask for UK government income to be entered before tax. I could not find a place to enter tax already deducted last time. Do I have to show it somewhere so it is taken into consideration?  W.M.

Government income, which does not include the state pension that is paid by the DWP but includes pensions of local council workers, police officers, state teachers, etc, must be declared in section six of the 2047 form that is described as being for ‘pensions of a foreign source with an income tax credit equal to the French tax’. This income has always been declarable gross, before the UK tax.

This is so the French tax office can take account of it as part of your overall world income, but it is not for it to be taxed again.

The tax office works out what the French tax on this pension amount would be and then deducts this amount from your overall French income tax bill.

Related stories:

Do I need to do French tax return if I only receive UK police pension?

How do I find and download the French income tax declaration form?

Tax declaration in France: what happens about my UK pensions?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France