top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

How do we declare letting income on our French second home?

If your home is used for holiday lets, the way in which you declare the income and pay tax varies depending on your revenues

We look at how you declare French rental income as a non-resident. (Photo for illustration) Pic: Kateryna Deineka / Shutterstock

Reader Question: We are British residents but have a (furnished) second-home in France and have let it out on Airbnb a few times. The income from this has not exceeded €2,500 in a year. I assume we need to declare these earnings. What should we do this?

If you let furnished accommodation – such as, for example, an Airbnb flat – your activity is classed as ‘commercial’ though in most cases you do not have to actually register a business.

So-called ‘professional’ landlords are required to register their activities as a business, but non-professional landlords are not.

As a non-resident, you would only be classed as a professional landlord if your annual letting income exceeded €23,000 and also constituted more than 50% of your taxable French income.

The €2,500 that you earn each year from your Airbnb does not cross this threshold and so you will not be deemed to fall under this.

If your letting income is under €70,000 before tax – which yours is – the most common option would be to declare under the micro-Bic regime, which is not a business structure but a specific tax status which benefits from simple tax rules. 

This brings with it a 50% tax allowance (which will be at least €305) for normal furnished lettings.

For furnished tourist accommodation that is classified in the French star system the tax allowance rises to 71% (this requires a specific application and inspection, which may or may not be worth considering).

Most non-residents are then taxed at 20% tax + 17.2% (or 7.5% for EU/EEA/Swiss and UK residents) social charges. There is a higher 30% tax rate for French taxable income above €26,070. 

An option also exists to ask for your worldwide income to be taken into account to see if your average French tax rate would have been lower than 20% (or 30%) in this case.

In your case, if you are taxed at 50% of €2,500 at the 27.5%, you can expect a tax bill of €344.

How to declare your income as a non-resident

When declaring for the first time, you can do so on paper using forms that you can find in the search box at

Alternatively you can declare online if you have a personal space on the site. 

To do this, go to and click on Votre espace particulier, which will lead you to Connexion ou création de votre espace.

You will be asked for your numéro fiscal (tax number), numéro d’accès en ligne (access code) and revenu fiscal de référence (the figure roughly corresponding to your net taxable income). 

If you do not have access to this information, you can click on the Aide help button and obtain a numéro fiscal by choosing Vous n’avez pas encore de numéro fiscal? (You do not already have a tax number) and then Centre des finances publiques.

You will be asked to enter your French address, and will then receive a letter asking you to create your personal account.

Once this account has been created you will be able to declare your income online in April or May each year. If you were ever required to pay tax in France it would only apply to your French income as you are not a full-time resident.

Micro-bic income from lettings is declared in box 5ND.

Note that as this is a kind of income that you have coming in regularly, the French tax office is likely to put in place monthly or three-monthly instalments of estimated tax from your bank account, based on the last declaration, as it is not able to directly tax your income at source. 

Any tax taken in this way is later checked against the annual declaration to make sure that you have paid the right amount, neither too much nor too little.

You can find out more about tax at source and declaring your income on the website. The Connexion will also be publishing our annual help guide to French income tax later this month.

Find help with navigating life in France with our new Reader Questions newsletter

Sign up for our pick of the week's questions from readers answered by the Connexion team – delivered to your inbox every Saturday.

See what other readers like you are asking including: How often is a rabies shot for dogs required for France-UK travel? ​​Can foreign residents benefit from France's pension top-up benefit? and more. 

Sign up for the free newsletter

Related articles

Why woman could break 120-day Airbnb legal rental limit for Paris home

How to declare French rental income

What is the difference between 'auto/micro-entrepreneur' in France?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France