top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Self-employed in France: Should I bill client for travel costs?

You may want to consider splitting the cost of the tax and social charges between the two of you

Bill the client, but split the taxes and social charges to even the amount Pic: Bleakstar / Shutterstock

Reader Question: I am self-employed as an auto-entrepreneur. I had to travel to another town to provide a service to a client. The client says he will reimburse the travel expenses, including hotel bill and meals. Can I just send him a facture [invoice] for these costs? How does this work for taxes?

The refund of costs that the client is offering should be included as part of your total sales, since they would be charged to the client. 

Accordingly, yes, you need to send your client another facture for these costs, and then include this as part of your sales, though you will then be subject to the due social charges and tax on this amount. 

If your client accepts this arrangement, since it is you who will be paying the tax and the social charges on these figures (and so in the end will not be refunded euro for euro), you might want to apply an enhancement coefficient to the total of these costs. 

In this way, you will increase the amount your client pays, so as to possibly split the cost of the tax and social charges that you will pay between the two of you, so avoiding you being the only one to suffer the effects of the tax and the social charges

Related links

Self-employed status in France must be on invoices and bank accounts

Can I sell my micro-Enterprise business in France

Can self-employed workers in France diversify from stated activity

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France