top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

What are the rules for having gas boilers serviced in France?

Having your boiler checked is obligatory in France

Reader question: What are the rules for having gas boilers serviced in France? Do you need an annual check, as you do for chimneys?

Like chimneys, heaters that use gas, heating oil, wood or coal require regular maintenance.

Home-owners are meant, by law, to have gas heating boilers checked annually by a professional, who should supply a certificate stating the boiler has been checked and is safe to use.

Poor maintenance can lead to poor fuel combustion and – in the worst cases – carbon monoxide poisoning, which kills around 100 people a year in France.

Read more: Can I still get an oil boiler in my French home if no other option?

Boiler maintenance contracts include an annual check-up and repair for a cost of about €120. If the home is rented, organising the check is the responsibility of the tenant unless otherwise stated in the lease.

There is no legal penalty for failure to maintain and service a boiler but an insurer may refuse to pay out if a related claim is made. Many will demand to see both boiler maintenance certificates and chimney cleaning records.

Landlords, too, may require proof that boilers are being maintained.

To find a heating technician, look in online directories under chauffagiste or search for entretien chaudière (boiler maintenance).

Most communes have bylaws imposing chimney cleaning by a professional sweep once or twice a year.

Related articles

Is it possible to install an instant water heater in my French house?

Extra €1,000 available in grants to replace a gas boiler in France

Explained: How to apply for a renovation grant for your French home


Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France