Brexit news in brief: French visa proof of income update, 90/180 rule

We get clarification from official sources on issues affecting non-EU visitors and residents

The European Commission confirms time spent in an EU country under a visa issued by that country is totally separate from ‘90 days in any 180-day period’
Published Last updated

Temporary long-stay visa and 90/180 day rule can run consecutively according to EU rules

The European Commission has confirmed to The Connexion that, from the point of view of EU/Schengen area rules, time spent in an EU country under a visa issued by that country is totally separate from the Schengen area's ‘90 days in any 180-day period’ that is otherwise permitted to Britons and others from non-EU countries visiting the area.

A spokesman confirmed that this means, for example, that a Briton who has been in France for six months on a temporary long-stay visa that is about to expire could stay on longer under the 90/180 day rule because, as far as that rule is concerned, they have not been in the Schengen area for any days in the last 180.

There is no need to leave the Schengen area at the end of the visa period and then re-enter to benefit from these further days.

Read more: Can I return to UK after French visa then come back for short stay?

Proof of income not officially increased for non-working couples' visa application

A diplomatic source says income levels required for non-working couples in the UK to obtain a visa to come to France long-term have not increased despite unofficial reports to the contrary.

It has been reported on unofficial sites about France that retirees/early-retirees are being asked by the French consular services in the UK for higher income levels than previously when applying for visas to move here.

A minimum of €2,000 a month has been quoted, attributed to consular sources.

However, a French diplomatic source, asked about the alleged change in policy, said:

“This information is not correct. The official information concerning the proof of resources to be attached to an application for a long-stay ‘visitor’ visa is available on the website

“Absolutely no mention is made of the elements of remuneration that you mention. Users are invited to use these official sources when completing their procedures.”

Last year, The Connexion was told by official sources that the French consulate was not asking couples for double the amount asked of single people – currently around the monthly net Smic minimum wage of €1,329 – though we were not given a set figure.

We were also told that substantial savings and owning one’s French home were taken into account in deciding if people had enough to support themselves.

This is also the case when applying for a temporary long-stay visa for up to six months.

Enough money to support oneself for the planned stay is what is checked in this case.

Read more: French visas: no rise in income levels for Britons, says official

Read more: Brexit: How to obtain a visa to move to France

Apply for S1 from UK

The UK’s NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) has re-confirmed that it is now possible to apply for an S1 before moving to France and to have it sent to your UK address.

However, the applicant does need to also supply a French address, even if temporary.

We note that, in any case, a French address is also asked for as part of visa applications.

Read more about planning your healthcare in France on the NHSBSA website.

Related articles

Low income but refused free French top-up health insurance? Next steps

UK-France Eurostar capacity cut by a third due to post-Brexit checks

Number of UK firms exporting goods to EU dropped by a third