How to stop local tax payments

I sold a holiday house in France in March last year but monthly direct debits for local property taxes are still being taken. How can I stop this? C.S.

Published Last updated

The first thing to do is to cancel the direct debit mandate with your bank.

The second is to send a recorded delivery letter with notice of delivery to the Trésor Public including extracts of the deed of sale to show the date at which the sale occurred and requesting that they stop taxing you as you are no longer the owner (and asking for a refund of amounts taken in error).

You may also like to write to the local tax office with similar enclosures since the Trésor Public only collects what the tax office tells them and may in fact be simply waiting for confirmation from them.

Reader's query answered by Hugh MacDonald

The Connexion welcomes queries and regularly publishes a selection with answers. However, please note that we cannot enter into individual correspondence on money topics. Queries may be edited for length and style. Due to the sensitive nature of topics we do not publish full names or addresses on these pages.

Send your financial query to

The information here is of a general nature. You should not act or refrain from acting on it without taking professional advice on the specific facts of your case. No liability is accepted in respect of these articles. These articles are intended only as a general guide. Nothing herein constitutes actual financial advice