Tap water restrictions increase in France: 57 departments on ‘crisis’ alert
Millions see highest restrictions as threat of tap water being cut off looms
A new wave of drought restrictions are in place across France, with more than half of mainland departments facing the most severe level of restrictions on tap water usage.
As of August 20, there are 57 departments where at least one commune is facing crise level alerts, the highest possible, and where all but essential tap water use is banned.
In many areas this notably now covers the entire department and not just small sections.
This is the case across Brittany and western Normandy, central France, and eastern areas near the German border.
A further 24 departments have at least one commune on at least alerte renforcée – the second-highest level for restrictions – with nine seeing at least one commune on alerte, the first set of restrictions that are less severe.
It means only four departments are at no higher than a vigilance level, where there are no restrictions but residents are urged to be cautious about water consumption.
The maps below show the impact of restrictions across France.
The first shows departments facing alerts, with the second showing the exact communes concerned – the overlap between the first and second maps shows how widespread restrictions are in many areas.
It is worth noting these only cover tap water restrictions for residents.
Restrictions for farmers, businesses, and local authorities differ, and there are separate rules for each group regarding the use of both river- and well-water.
Full interactive maps for all variations are available on the VigiEau website. Our article here explains the website in more depth.
In addition, our article here answers common questions about drought restrictions, including on how to get up to date information.
The best places to look for information on restrictions in your area include the VigiEau website, the website of your prefecture/department (particularly if restrictions are department-wide) and your local mairie.
Tap water to be cut off?
There are rising concerns in several northern departments that tap water may be cut off to conserve water levels.
Around 40,000 people were said to be without tap water last week as several communes had to cut off access in light of low groundwater levels.
Mairies scrambled to supply towers with water from tankers – a costly measure but one that allows households to continue to use tap water – or otherwise supply residents with bottled water if taps were fully cut off.
Minister for Ecological Transition Monique Barbut said more than 500,000 people across France were at a heightened risk of tap water being cut off this summer, and roughly three million living in zones where it was possible this summer.
In Saint-Lô (Manche), authorities are mulling temporarily cutting off tap water at certain periods of the day.
These temporary restrictions would not act as a complete ‘cutting off’ of supplies for everyone, but target certain areas of the commune and be separate for businesses and residential areas.
It would allow authorities to further limit water usage without having to resort to completely ending access to tap water.
In Calvados however, authorities have said cutting off tap water is an unlikely last resort, and the early implementation of water restrictions should stave off the need to implement such measures.
Information on what to do if your commune has its tap water cut off is available in our article here.
With restrictions set to last well into October in a bid to allow autumn rainfall to replenish aquifers, it is possible that more areas see a temporary loss of tap water in the coming weeks.
However, the arrival of rain across France this weekend may help to soften groundsoil, and allow future rainfall to begin replenishing aquifers across the country.