What documents do I need for a visa application to travel to France?

People from the UK, US and 68 other countries outside of the Schengen area need to apply if they want to stay for more than 90 days

Close up of Visa for France
People from 70 non-Schengen countries need a VLS-T visa de long-séjour temporaire or a VLS-TS visiteur to stay for more than 90 days at a time
Published Last updated

People from some countries outside of the Schengen visa-free travel area, including the UK and US can visit France without a visa for 90 days but need to apply for one if they want to stay for longer. 

To stay for longer than 90 days, people from these countries need a VLS-T visa de long-séjour temporaire or a VLS-TS visiteur.

Which countries have 90-day visa-free travel agreements with the Schengen area?

AndorraUnited Arab EmiratesAntigua and BarbudaAlbaniaArgentinaAustraliaBosnia and Herzegovina
Costa RicaDominicaMicronesiaUnited KingdomGrenadaGeorgiaSaint Vincent and the Grenadines
GuatemalaHong KongHondurasIsraelJapanKiribatiKosovo
Saint Kitts and NevisSouth KoreaSaint LuciaVenezuelaNew ZealandPanamaPeru
PalauParaguaySerbiaSolomon IslandsSeychellesSingaporeSan Marino
MonacoMoldovaMontenegroMarshall IslandsNorth MacedoniaMacauMauritius
MexicoMalaysiaNicaraguaEl SalvadorTimor-LesteTongaTrinidad and Tobago
TuvaluTaiwanUkraineUnited StatesUruguayVatican CityVanuatu

Read more: Do Britons lose access to NHS healthcare when moving to France?

To apply for these visas, you need:

  • Your passport. This should have been issued less than 10 years ago and be valid for at least three months after the date on which the visa you are applying for would expire. It must have at least two blank pages in it

  • Two recent passport photographs

  • A written promise not to carry out any work in France; also a letter explaining your plans, ie. the reason for visiting

  • Evidence of your ‘socio-economic situation’ such as pension documents or work contract or certificate of study from an educational establishment.

  • A British-issued Ehic or Ghic for healthcare cover if you live in the UK. For Americans, private insurance is required with a minimum cover of €30,000 for urgent medical care and medical repatriation costs. This should be of a duration suitable to the trip, or for the first year in the case of a VLS-TS.

  • Proof of having accommodation arranged in France such as a rental contract or deeds, or a signed statement by a host confirming that they live in France and are inviting you to stay at their address. If you own your French home, you could supply a copy of the 

    certificate of sale (attestation de vente) that notaires supply on completion of a property sale in France. If you no longer have one, you could ask your notaire to email a copy to you. A tax statement (avis d’imposition) for property taxes (taxe foncière) could also help.

  • Proof of funds: Last three bank statements of current or savings accounts, with evidence of enough funds for the duration of the stay. If your partner will support you, then you need to show a marriage or civil partnership certificate and bank statements from the partner.

Read more: Can I extend my 90-day visa-free period in France in an emergency?

How much do you need to earn to get a French visa?

You are required to prove that you earn an income at least equivalent to the French minimum wage (€1,399 net) per month of the stay or that you have equivalent savings to support yourself.

Lower levels are accepted for second-home owners as it is assumed they have fewer expenses than those paying for accommodation.

Levels accepted for couples are reported to be higher, but not double, as they are considered to be able to live on less than two single people. No precise rules are available.

Read more: What happens at an in-person appointment for a French visa?