top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

My water bill rose 800% What do I do?

CONNEXION received a “flood” of emails offering suggestions after a reader queried an unexplained water bill eight times the usual size.

Dordogne resident Margaret Green, from Piégut-Pluvier, said a plumber had found no leaks and she had had no recent work done apart from fitting a pressure-reducing device next to the meter. She added: “Since receiving the bill I have tried to explain the situation, with no success apart from a 25% reduction of the amount as a gesture.

“We have been reading the meter on a regular basis and our plumber has confirmed it is working normally.”

In such situations like this, first check your bills, which should indicate volumes consumed. If they have shot up, and have not changed habits, you need to investigate – we publish some reader suggestions (right).

If there is a leak on your property you may have to pay; otherwise, contest the bill in the following way:

Phone (and/or write to by recorded delivery letter) the water firm to contest the bill and ask for a meter check. Provide proof; such as old bills.

The water supplier will send someone to check the meter. However, if it is working correctly you will be billed. If there is a problem, the meter will be replaced and usually your bill will be reduced to the average level.

Your supplier may also do a check for leaks – if one is found you will be billed for the checks and your complaint rejected (so it is better to get your own checks done beforehand).

In the event of a continuing dispute you must exhaust the firm’s internal complaints procedures and can then apply to the water mediator (or seek help from a consumer body such as CLCV – see

To go through internal complaints, contact the firm’s customer services department (service clients) and, if necessary, write to a “higher” complaints body (instance de recours supérieure), such as the direction consommateurs (check with the firm).

If the dispute is less than two years old, you can then apply to the mediator, with copies of letters to the firm. See:

The mediator’s office said this suspends any action by the water firm – you cannot be cut off and if it has done so should restore your supply. After three months the mediator will give a written finding, that you and the firm may accept or not. If that fails, the matter must go to court.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now