top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Apply for refunds of property tax

If you have paid taxe d'habitation or taxe foncière this year but did not last year you are due a refund

IF YOU have had a taxe foncière or d’habitation bill this year when you were exempt from paying in 2014, the government says you can either ignore it, if you have not paid, or be reimbursed if you have.

This relates to exemptions that are dependent on factors linked to age and/or having a relatively low income.

Due to certain new measures this year related to income tax calculations, some people may have also lost their local tax exemption whereas their general situations have not changed.

The government has therefore decided on reimbursements to make sure needy people are not being penalised.

This concerns people such as those aged 75 or more who have been billed for taxe foncière whereas they were exempt last year.

If you have already paid a bill, officials says you will receive a repayment around March, as a bank transfer or a cheque in the post. Alternatively you may contact your tax office now for a faster repayment, by telephone, letter, email or personal visit.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2022 (for 2021 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now