top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

How to get a French EU pet passport as a British second-home owner

Pet passports issued in France are considerably cheaper than the UK's £100 one-trip pet travel certificates. We asked vets in France if British second-home owners could get an EU passport for their pets while in France

Vets in France have said that Britons with second home can obtain an EU pet passport Pic: Monika Wisniewska / Shutterstock

Update, May 31 2022: The information in this article is no longer fully up-to-date following a recent rule change, which you can read in our article here: Second-home owners in France to register travelling pets with I-CAD.

It is possible for British pet owners who have second homes in France to get an EU animal passport in France, two French vets at separate practices have told The Connexion

France’s Agriculture Ministry also previously confirmed that it is acceptable for British second-home owners to obtain a French pet passport, as long as an EU vet administers the pet’s rabies jabs.

British EU pet passports ceased to be valid from January 1 this year, due to the UK leaving the EU. Now, UK pet-owners must visit a vet for an animal health certificate (AHC), valid for up to four months for a single trip, onward travel in the EU and re-entry.

These can typically cost around £100 each, plus any treatments and vaccinations the pet may need. 

An EU pet passport issued in France will cost between €15 to €20, and can be used for up to 28 trips.

Vets say Britons can get pet passport in France

A vet in Nice has told The Connexion that he is happy to issue British second-home owners with an EU pet passport for their pets. 

He said that the person would have to bring their pet into the practice where he would verify if the animal has been registered on France’s pet identification database, known as I-CAD.

If the animal is not, the vet can arrange that there and then, and can vaccinate the pet against rabies. 

The person will be issued with a document that will contain an identification number for the pet and a temporary password to register on I-CAD. 

Once done, the person will be able to request an EU pet passport from their vet. 

Another vet in Normandy also told The Connexion that she is happy to issue British second-home owners with a pet passport, costing €15 with a €30 consultation fee.

Some French vets may refuse

Any British second-home owner who wishes to get an EU pet passport in France will have to visit a veterinary practice in person with their animal. The person will then first have to get to France from the UK, meaning they will require an AHC. 

It should be noted that the I-CAD website specifies that for an animal to be registered on the I-CAD database, the animal’s stay in France must be over three months.

British second-home owners are only allowed to stay in France for 90 days out of 180, without having a longer-term visa.

For this reason, it is possible certain vets will refuse to issue second-home owners’ pets with passports.

EU pet passports issued in France are valid and accepted in the UK. 

See I-CAD’s website here for more information on registering your pet in its database, and here for the rules regarding Brexit. 

Related stories:

Could French pet passports save fees for regular travel with pets?

No grants and pet travel fees: UK’s post-Brexit status ‘is costing us’

Brexit: Rules clarified for visiting France from UK with pet

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France