top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Am I entitled to money back for home help costs?

For five years we have employed a woman who works two hours a week doing housework. We pay her using the CESU scheme. Friends say we should have received annual reimbursements for our social charge cotisation payments. Are they right? A.G.

The position with the CESU is that half of the amount paid during the year (in wages and cotisations) can be refunded by the tax office by reducing your income tax by the amount of the refund. This is a credit impôt (tax credit), which means that if tax due to be paid by you is not as much as the refund that is due, the excess is paid to you.

The total you have paid in a given year should be declared in box 7DF of the 2042 RICI form when you make your French income declaration for that year’s income.
You need to check your income tax assessment to ensure the refund has been made. If not, write to the tax office to ask them to apply it (the address is on page 4 – however do not write to the Trésor Public). Note however that you are asked to deduct from the sum declared any money you may have received to help with employing the person such as the APA benefit.
There is a ceiling, variable according to family size and the number of people aged over 65, which applies to the amount of expenses on which that tax credit can be calculated. However this is significantly higher than the costs you are talking about; as a result, you are entitled to half your expenses back.

Reader's query answered by Hugh MacDonald

If you have a money query send it to We select questions for answer every edition

The information here is of a general nature. You should not act or refrain from acting on it without taking professional advice on the specific facts of your case.
No liability is accepted in respect of this article. It is intended only as a general guide. Nothing herein constitutes actual financial advice.

The Connexion welcomes queries and publishes a selection with answers every edition. However, please note that we cannot enter into correspondence on money topics. Queries may be edited for length and style. Due to the sensitive nature of topics we do not publish full names or addresses on these pages.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now