top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Foreign retirees in France get clarification on income requirements

An Interior Ministry spokesman has clarified the level of income retirees need to convert a visitor visa to a 10-year 'carte de résident'

Gross minimum wage (Smic) is €20,147 and net is €15,949 Pic: Gena96 / Shutterstock

Foreign residents in France on visitor visas (retirees and early-retirees) need only show an income equivalent to the ‘net’ Smic minimum wage, not the brut (gross) Smic, to convert their cards to a 10-year carte de résident after five years in France.

Read more: French visas: no rise in income levels for Britons, says official

Read more: Brexit news in brief: French visa proof of income update, 90/180 rule

An official website refers to the Smic brut for this purpose, which is €20,147 and is usually an amount before employee’s social charges. 

The net, after the charges, is €15,949.

An Interior Ministry spokesman said the brut would only be relevant to foreign workers. 

Retirees only need to show the same as when they first apply to come, ie. an amount based on the net Smic. 

It is the amount actually received, in their case, that counts.

Related articles

Grants, savings, tax: how will your finances change in France in 2023?

Social charges, sick leave, SMIC: Change for workers in France in 2023

Two million independent workers in France to see social charges drop

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France