top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Working for foreign firm in France

A firm in Italy wants to employ me working from home in France. Is it possible?  H.E.

Yes, though as you would be working in France your employer must pay French social security contributions.

The situation would be different if you were living in France but commuting to Italy.

EU rules say cross-border workers pay social security contributions to the country where they work.

You could set up a French business and charge the Italian company for your work.

If the company has a branch in France that can employ you, that also is no problem.

However, if you would be directly employed by the firm in Italy, it would need to pay contributions to the Centre National des Firmes Etrangères and abide by French working practices, such as offering you a subsidised health mutuelle.

The firm has to register with the CNFE on form E0 to obtain a Siret number and to open an account to pay the contributions to CMFE. There is more information at and


Reader's query answered by Hugh MacDonald

The Connexion welcomes queries and regularly publishes a selection with answers. However, please note that we cannot enter into individual correspondence on money topics. Queries may be edited for length and style. Due to the sensitive nature of topics we do not publish full names or addresses on these pages. Send your financial query to

The information here is of a general nature. You should not act or refrain from acting on it without taking professional advice on the specific facts of your case. No liability is accepted in respect of these articles. These articles are intended only as a general guide. Nothing herein constitutes actual financial advice

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France