top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Explainer: how to get police to check on your home in France when away

The checks add extra security while you are on holiday and you can now sign up online for the free service

A typical burglar concept with a man wearing a balaclava and gloves attempting to break in to a house

Police can keep watch over your home and alert you in case of any signs of trouble or attempted break-ins Pic: Virrage Images / Shutterstock

It is possible to sign up online for the free ‘Opération tranquillité vacances’ service under which the gendarmerie or police keep watch over your house in France while you are away.

The service is available all year round across metropolitan France and is free.

Police or gendarmerie will patrol your home several times a day (during the week and the weekend), checking that all is well. 

If they see any signs of trouble (such as damage, an attempted break-in, or a burglary), they will alert you or a nominated trusted neighbour.

This is intended to help you react as quickly as possible to limit the damage, such as by replacing locks, making an inventory of stolen objects, or beginning a claim with your insurance company.

Read more: How police keep home safe while you are on holiday

Requests for the service must be made at least 48 hours before you leave, or want it to begin.

You can sign up either at the police or gendarmerie station in person, or – from this summer – sign-ups can be taken online.

To connect, you will need one of your FranceConnect accounts (used for taxes or for the Ameli health platform). 

Read more: What is FranceConnect? 

You will then need to give:

  • Your address
  • Dates of absence
  • Means of access to your home
  • Who to contact in case of need.

The more information the police have, the more secure they can keep your home. 

Your request will automatically be sent to the relevant police or gendarmerie department for your location. You must remember to tell them if your plans change and you are not away so as to avoid confusion.

Once you have completed the online procedure, you will receive a receipt for the registration request by email, as well as a form summarising the data you have provided.

Read more: FranceConnect: why you may not have access to it 

If you prefer to sign up in-person (or cannot connect online), this is still possible. You can go to the local police station or gendarmerie, and give the information there. You will also be required to show: 

  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of address (rent receipt, electricity bill, etc)

You can also download the application form online, print it out at home, and fill it in before handing it to the police or gendarmerie station in person (but this is not mandatory). 

Once signed up, you will be given a receipt as proof.

Related articles

French police holiday service in demand as break-ins soar 

Gendarmes' 9-point plan to keep your home safe when away on holiday

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now