top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

How do we connect our French holiday home to public drainage?

Speaking to the local mairie in order to obtain authorisation is the first step and they might also be able to recommend a firm to carry out the work

It is necessary to budget for the costs of the work on your property, which are typically around €200 per metre between your house and the public highway Pic: kckate16 / Shutterstock

Reader question: Our fosse septique (septic tank) works poorly. How do we connect to the mains drainage, which is situated just outside the boundary of our holiday home? Are there any authorisations and costs involved?

Assuming the job is not impossible for technical reasons, such as being too far from the mains system – which sounds not to be the case here – you should speak to your mairie in the first instance.

It is necessary to obtain authorisation from it for the work, known as raccordement au système d’assainissement collectif or ‘tout à l’égout’.

The mairie might also be able to advise on a firm to carry out the work and, in some cases, mairies will insist on you using a particular firm.

Usually, the mairie funds the work that is necessary on sections located on the public highway, though it may charge a tax towards this, called taxe de raccordement, which can be around €500-1,000.

You have to budget for the costs of the work on your property, which are typically around €200 per metre between your house and the public highway.

You will also have to pay to have your septic tank closed down, emptied and disinfected, at around €500.

Related stories

France’s second home visit ban boosts property maintenance services

French farmhouse renovation: Installing a filter for safe tap water

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now