top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Can I travel in the EU with my Withdrawal Agreement residency card?

Your WA card can be used as an identity document for internal flights in France, though for trips outside France your passport is still necessary

WA residency cards can be used for internal flights but not on leaving France Pic: S. Pech / Shutterstock

Having now received my Withdrawal Agreement (WA) residency card, can I travel throughout the EU using this card or do I still need to carry my British passport for this?

As a foreign resident of France with a residency card, you can travel freely in other Schengen area countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period, but paperwork is still needed.

You should always have your residency card with you in France in case of a police check, and this card can also be used as an identity document for internal flights in France.

You should take it with you on trips outside France within the Schengen area, though there will be no automatic border checks if you are not travelling by plane.

In this case, however, you do also need to have your passport with you, as the residency card is not sufficient on its own.

Both documents will also be checked if you enter or leave the Schengen area – for example, if going from France to the UK.

Related stories

Will non-EU residents of France need Etias to return from trip abroad?

What is waiting time for Britons in France for Brexit residency cards?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now