top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

How can I stop cars speeding through my village in France?

Speed limits are the responsibility of the village mayor in France and are only changed under limited circumstances 

Reader question: I live in a village in rural France where cars speed through at 70kph. The road is dangerous and the villagers would like to reduce the limit to 50kph. How do we go about it?

In France, the default speed limit in towns and villages is 50kph, although at times it can rise to 70kph, or fall to 30kph in residential areas or near schools, for example.

Speed can occasionally be further reduced to as little as 20kph in busy areas such as town centres.

You will find speed limit signs at the entrance of the specific speed area.

Limits can be changed under limited circumstances and it falls to the mayor, as head of the local police, to do this.

Since 2015, new rules driven by environmental and road safety concerns have made it easier for mayors to lower speed limits from 50kph to 30kph or 20kph. Mayors have the power to reduce speed beyond what is stipulated in the highway code, and there has been a trend in recent years to do this in towns and villages across France.

If you want to reduce the speed limit in your village, you should therefore approach the mayor in the first instance.

Be aware, however: mairies are not responsible for all roads in a commune, so they may point you elsewhere.

Related stories

I was sent a speed fine but can’t recall if I was driving?

Unmarked radar cars to quadruple in France by end of 2020

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now