top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

How can I free up French livret A inheritance from UK resident?

A reader’s bank suggested they find a ‘British notary’ to draw up a suitable document; but is this the best option?

Freeing up a livret A inheritance from a UK resident is not a straightforward process, we look at how it can be done Pic: HJBC / Shutterstock

Reader question: I am due inheritance including money from a livret A but Crédit Agricole says it needs an acte de notoriété to close the account and transfer the proceeds. A notaire said that, due to Brexit, notaires cannot provide this if someone dies in the UK. The person concerned lived in England. The bank suggested I find a ‘British notary’. Can you advise?

An acte de notoriété is a legal document that, as you say, is usually supplied by a notaire. It proves a person’s rights as an heir to property in the estate of a deceased individual. 

In the UK there is a legal profession called a notary public and you can find them here

However, our columnist John Kitching of French Law Consultancy said they are not necessarily the right port of call as they have a more limited remit than French notaires. 

A standard solicitor would also not know what to do, he said, but a UK-based French law specialist, such as he is, would be able to assist. 

They would look at the will – if there is one – and work out who is entitled to the estate, and explain this in French in a document called a certificat de coutume de la dévolution successorale, which replaces the acte de notoriété in a format that a French bank will understand. 

“We confirm the validity of the will, or who inherits if there is none, and explain why, and which law applies.” 

The cost and complexity of doing this is variable on the amount of money in the livret A, he said. 

It is often more expensive where sums of more than €5,000 are involved.

Related articles

How do I recover funds from my late father’s French bank account?

Will my French estate go to my civil partner when I die?

How can I leave my French property to my second wife?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France