Can I rent out my refurbished outbuilding to a student in France?

As long as specific rules are followed when renting a room or outbuilding, a property owner could benefit from tax breaks with rentals to students

Window of brick building
Rents must be declared as revenue but an amount is tax-free

Reader question: I have a small outbuilding at my French home that has been converted into a guest bedroom.Can I rent it out to a student?

The answer is yes and in most parts of France this is being encouraged by tax breaks as a way of getting more student accommodation on the market.

Read more: France top destination among UK pupils for Turing study abroad scheme

Read more: French income tax: Deadlines for 2021 declarations released

In the Paris region, for example, rental income of less than €191 a month is tax-free. This falls to €152 in Orléans.

Rents must be declared as revenue each year but no tax will be claimed within the limits set by regional councils.

As with all rentals, the accommodation must be ‘decent’, with a window looking out, insulation, heating, electricity and such like.

Read more: New property website makes life easier for landlords in France

You can ask for two months’ rent as a guarantee against damage.

It is possible to have a nine-month contract if renting to a university student.

If they are a student alternating work and study, or if they have an apprenticeship agreement, they are considered salaried, and the contract has to be a standard 12-month one.

Empty rooms can only be rented with a three-year contract and must be at least 9m².

In all cases, it is a good idea to have the contract drawn up and signed in the presence of a notaire.

The contract for rental in an outbuilding will be similar to those if a room in a house is being let to a lodger.

Related articles

Should we pay ‘taxe d'habitation’ if not in French house on January 1?

How French tax authorities are tracking undeclared swimming pools

House prices, sublet scam: Five updates for property owners in France