top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Carte de séjour in France: ministry lists documents

Confusion continues about what documents are needed to apply for a carte de séjour as a British person living in France.

This morning, the French Interior Ministry has sent a list of documents to The Connexion (on our request) of exactly what paperwork prefectures may request for carte de séjour applications. It says the prefectures have been informed to keep to this list.

You can find the list here and a translation by Connexion here.

 It comes as the British Ambassador to France, Lord Ed Llwellyn, told Connexion in an interview: “We would encourage eligible UK nationals to prepare your papers (bank statements, statements of household bills etc) to demonstrate your continued residency in France and to apply for a carte de séjour.”

Connexion asked the Direction Générale des Etrangers en France (DGEF), the part of the ministry dealing with foreign residents in France, if they can confirm they are advising Britons to apply for cartes so as to avoid a peak in demand after Brexit, as told to Connexion by campaigners recently.

A DGEF spokesman said: “Whatever the outcome of the Brexit negotiations, the Interior Ministry will prioritise solutions which allow us to avoid a rush of British people to the prefectures concentrated over a short period of time”.

They also confirmed that the ministry reminded prefectures in March this year of Britons’ rights to apply for the cards and has sent them a standardised list of documents that they may ask for, asking them to “stick to this list”.

It has been agreed in the Brexit negotiations so far that those already holding  a ‘permanent stay’ EU citizen carte de séjour may exchange it in a simple process if it is necessary for Britons in France after Brexit (or the transition period) to hold a different kind of card.

A full interview with the ambassador and more information about cartes de séjour is covered in our new 96-page helpguide Brexit and Britons in France, available at our website (print or pdf version) at this link, priced €12,50 plus P&P, or in selected newsagents in France from next week.

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France